In 2007, the Merrimack Valley School District was facing multiple challenges throughout its district school buildings. The district hired Banwell Architects to assess and provide design solutions for four district schools, including Merrimack Valley High School.
Features of the project include:
• Integrated Green design that saved over one million dollars in up-front costs
• High R-value materials that replace the metal panel facade
• Tight envelope construction to reduce the size of mechanical heating equipment
• Low volatile organic compound (VOC) materials, low-flow plumbing, and energy efficient lighting
• New entry with tower element to complement design of adjacent middle school
• Meets building code and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements
• New state of the art labs
• New day lit cafeteria and outdoor patio
Banwell Architects worked with the New Hampshire Department of Education to develop the New England Collaborative for High Performance Schools (NE-CHPS). Merrimack Valley High School is the first school in the country to follow NECHPS. The school district saves annually in heating and energy costs. Children and staff enjoy a more comfortable, safe, and cheerful learning environment.
Size: 25,640 sf New; 113,000 sf Renovation
Project Cost: $9,404,546
Awards: NECHPS Certified School