Vermont Technical College – Williston Dormitory
In 2010, Vermont Technical College purchased a local office building that they hoped to use as a dormitory. With a value driven budget, they hired Banwell Architects to transform the block-like office structure into a more homey living area for students.
Features of the project include:
- Encourage community with centrally located lounges, study room, and support spaces.
- Maximized sunlight in perimeter dormitory rooms
- Existing water loop heat pump systems revived to provide energy efficient cooling
- New baseboard hot water system installed to provide heating control in dormitory rooms
- Outdoor air distributed to indoor spaces to improve dormitory air quality
- Energy efficient lighting fixtures replaced old lighting systems for greater savings
- New technology installed to support multimedia connectivity
As a barometer of its success, students now clamor to live in the renovated three-story dormitory house.