In 2019 The Center School hired Banwell Architects to design their new school. They embarked on a journey to develop a new campus to accommodate its
growing student body and embody its educational values. The Pre-K through 8
private school with a current enrollment of 133 had plans to grow 165 students in the near future. The new school which sits in an idyllic meadow is intended to subtly compliment its surroundings. Features of the new building include:
• Reduced impervious surfaces by providing minimal pavement, and using
reinforced lawn to absorb overflow parking for large events.
• Preserved vernal ponds and wetland areas.
• The All school room at the center of the building opens onto a southern
• All classrooms have direct access outside.
• Beneficial solar orientation of building. Abundant windows at all instructional
areas and clerestory hallway natural lighting to minimize artificial lighting sources.
• Environmentally conscious natural siding and flooring choices.
• No fossil fuels used in building. Electric heating/air conditioning equipment &
• LED lighting throughout. Lighting occupancy sensors. Daylight harvesting sensors. • Photovoltaic panels on roof.